Wednesday 31 August 2016

Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year! What a terrific year this will be!

Image result for Welcome back to school

I am very excited to be returning to Fleetwood-Bawden after taking this last year to learn how to be a mom to 2 boys! They are now one and five, and keep me very busy! I fear that I will blink, and all too soon they will be in a grade 3/4 classroom like my own! Kids grow much too quickly, and those 'back-to-school' milestones come sneaking up on us parents. 

As a teacher, I just love the start of a new school year.  Even though the days are already getting shorter and the mornings much cooler, everything seems fresh and new, and somehow there is a sense of rejuvenation in the air. I love seeing school buses on the road, dressing in my new fall sweaters, and opening up packages of brand new pencils. September always brings GREAT new beginnings here in the classroom!

This year, I have planned wonderful and engaging activities for the class, and I am hoping that each and every student will find meaningful and exciting opportunities for learning and growing as our year progresses.

I would like you to know that I am committed to supporting your child and providing him/her with as many opportunities for success as possible.  I believe in "deep thinking", problem solving, academic rigour and real-world learning.  I think that my teaching beliefs are a great fit with the multi-aged classroom and the Montessori curriculum.  The educational skills and knowledge that your child will learn this year will build a strong foundation, and will help to ensure your child is prepared for their last years in elementary school.

In the past, I have prided myself on the great relationships I have built with the parents of my students.  I greatly appreciate being able to work as a team with you, to help your child grow and develop. I would like to invite you to come talk with me anytime.  NO question or concern is ever too small or too big when it comes to your child.  I believe frequent and open communication between the home and the school is paramount in student success. 

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to come the the Welcome Back BBQ on Tuesday, September 13th (5:30-7:30).  I will be hosting an Open-House-style evening in which your child can show you around our classroom, we can meet, and we can quickly discuss what you hope your child will accomplish this school year.  I will also be providing information to you about our classroom, our routines, and procedures.

In the upcoming weeks I will be sending home further communications about items such as home-reading, field trips, etc.  As these items come-up please support your child and the efforts that we make here at school.  

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me right away.

Looking forward to a great 2016-2017 school year!

Mrs. Jennifer Thomsen